Friday, December 23, 2005

What do you think?

When something is not someone's business but they ask a question ... is it OK to lie?

For example, like my friend's ex-boyfriend ... if his girlfriend WERE to tell me something big (and she hasn't and I don't expect her to so we're talking complete hypotheticals here)... should I say to him if he asks:

1. I don't know.
2. I can't tell you.
3. Its none of your business.
4. Flat out make something up.

#2 and #3 I think are honest answers and honest answers are good but sometimes they open up a whole other can of worms.

Would it really be wrong to lie?

What if someone was asking a question about me that I didn't care to discuss? While I can see that little white lies may not be a big deal, "Oh, Melissa, have you lost weight?" "Yes, a few pounds" - when the answer is no, I just look good in these jeans... may not be a big deal... but... Lets say they're asking about some serious aspect of my life or something that I don't want to discuss... then is it OK to lie?

Do you see the predicament here... and its not really a predicament I have right now, I'm just talking in hypotheticals because I'm just thinking about some stuff but... I hate the "Its none of your business answer" cause to me that would really answer a question that someone is asking which then makes it their business and ...

BLAH... I could go on and on.

I read Dear Abbey every day and she would say, I think, that its OK to tell someone its none of their business and just leave it at that. Maybe I should write her and ask - LOL!

Personally, I think if its something that is only your business and something that you don't want to share with someone in particular and its not going to effect the state of the planet, it IS OK to lie.

The person who is asking you about the personal information REALLY SHOULD NOT BE ASKING YOU IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Am I right?

2 comments:

EVA MAHONEY said...

I agree..don't lie. "And this affects you how?" has worked for me.

I am particularly hurt and lost for words when somone asks, "Are you wearing a wig?" I used to lie, now I do the "affect" thing. I can be equally rude on an individual bases.

Melissa said...

Yeah I agree. If its not someone's business - regardless of how close the person is to you (a friend or whomever) or how close they perceive themselves as being to you - its none of their business and nothing wrong with telling them so.