Thursday, December 08, 2005

The great Ipod debate of 05 (pronounced "ought-5)!

OK ... so here is the thing... I have a long storied history of being an MP3 player owner. I would - in some ways - consider myself an early adopter. (Is that spelled right?) Anyway, I've had various MP3 players since the ancient days of 1999. Anyway... I currently own the 1GB Ipod Shuffle and the thing rocks! It is especially super convenient for working out (which I need to do more of, I try to stay away from New Years resolutions but the diet/exercise thing HAS to be one this year!). So anyway, the thing is great for working out - very small, just hangs around my neck or whatever; the bad things (if you wanna call them bad) are that it does not hold many songs and you can't load playlists or pre-select what you wanna hear, hence the name - SHUFFLE!

OK so lately I have sort of been pondering getting a bigger and better Ipod. The first one that comes to mind is the new Nano mostly because it looks so cool. I would definitely go for the 4GB as opposed to the 2GB. But then I start looking at prices. The full-fledged newest Ipods are considered Generation 5. However, you can buy a full-fledged 20GB Generation 4 for around $230 which is less money than the dinky 4GB Nano. So, you see the dilemma. I mean, what would be wrong with buying a Generation 4 as opposed to a Generation 5. As far as I know, most of the kinks have been worked out in the recent releases anyway.

BUT THEN... I am posed with the question... Melissa, you love all of that techie stuff, why don't you just shell out the big bucks and get the biggest and the best - the latest one with all of the space which holds all of the music plus all of the videos and pictures. Yeah well, I don't know. Thats a lot of dough although I know I would love it. My grandparents in recent years have been giving a significant amount of money to us for Christmas gifts and so I would be able to afford it but it seems kind of petty to take that money and spend it on something like that. Maybe I should just take a trip to Vegas and if I win around $300 on the Blackjack tables, take that money and buy my Ipod. Sound like a plan, I think so ; ) Except, of course, I would have to pay probably more than $300 in airfare, hotel, food, etc. so on second thought... Hmmm... maybe not.

But anyway, what do you think? Here are my options:

1. Stick with what I have - will not spend anymore $$, its super convenient, and just spend more time updating it with new songs which doesn't take much time to begin with
2. Buy the Nano cause its cute and convenient and ever so hip - 4GB is probably more than enough for me. I had a 6GB MP3 player before that I never came close to filling up
3. Buy the Generation 4 full Ipod cause its discounted - I will get 20GB of music, spend less than on a Nano or a Generation 5 - this does appear to be the budget option
4. Buy the Generation 5 full Ipod cause its the most updated.
5. Buy the newest, best, all bells and whistles Ipod cause its got a bunch of great options and new things and services are coming out every day which will make it super great to have, even if it costs a huge amount of money.
6. (I bet you thought there wasn't another option) Buy the portable DVR from Archos which contains all of this plus the ability to record TV shows like your own portable Tivo and spend a serious amount of dough doing so! ; )

Opinions welcome!!!

No comments: