Monday, March 20, 2006

The weekend...

So remember me mentioning that guy that I used to date that my friend and I run into on occasion? Ummm... yeah. So long story short I ended up spending my Friday evening with him.

OK ... not like that ... as a group and he has a girlfriend now (thank god) so... I was able to deal with it but it wasn't exactly my first choice for St. Patrick's Day.

One of these days I'll get all the way into the *sordid* tale. Its actually pretty interesting.

But anyway, out Friday night. His girlfriend is OK. She's a little annoying in that she pretty much can't shut up but other than that, she's OK. Not the cutest, but whatever. Not every girl can be as cute as me, right?? ha ha! Whatever...

So anyway, ended up bowling out in the burbs at an "all you can bowl" laser bowl thing - open bowling til 2am. We stayed til 12-something. It was OK... I never do well at laser bowl - I just can't see that well. So I sucked more than normal but whatever. What I need to get back to are my 50 cent bowling Tuesdays and get some more practice. I was doing pretty well there for a while. Even bowled 148 one night which is probably my second highest ever. Thats good for me, a chick who doesn't bowl too often.

So anyway, the two of them are living together - their place is fairly nice - in Downers Grove, one bed-room apartment. Nothing too special but nice enough. She was playing the gracious hostess and all. We sat around, drank some beers and watched basketball. Got to see Kansas lose which was just wonderful to me because 1) I hate Kansas and 2) Its this dude's favorite team and 3) He was even wearing a Kansas shirt that evening. After that headed to the bowling alley.

The guy is a piece of work - which is why it didn't work out between us - but the new girlfriend seems to be ruling him with an iron fist. She must really want it to work out because she is going above and beyond what a girlfriend should do but whatever makes her happy I suppose. For one, she got him on medication. I am so not kidding about that. I think its valium but if you ask me, he needs something stronger. He freaks out because of his job and his life and this makes him drink. Blah blah... She has supposedly banned him from hard alcohol. Yeah ... we'll see about that. I have to check out what he's drinking the next time my friend and I run into him at the bar after work. And, they're even going to Las Vegas and she is going to be controlling the money. So basically what he has is some mommy figure. But like I said, if that's what she wants. Fine.

Its funny how I think that Rule #1 in any relationship is that you cannot change someone - no matter what. Don't even try, its not going to work. To me, she's breaking Rule #1 and while it seems to be working at the moment... how long will it work? How long til he goes back to his old ways and treats her like shit too? How long til she has to go away on business or something and he's *home alone*? I'm sorry but someone with the problems that he has, its just not going to go away like that. Whatever ...

So it wasn't a horrible evening but also not what I would have picked out but what can you do? If I have to see him again, at least I know that I can deal with him, and she's nice enough. The thing I will not do is lie to her. If she asks me any questions about the "past", I will tell her the truth and the truth isn't going to be pretty. Its not my job to hid the kind of person that he is from her.

Saturday and Sunday I spent in my hometown of Sullivan, Indiana! Went down for my Grandma's birthday and pretty much the whole fam was there except for my cousin Grant who had to work. My uncle from Texas came too but his family didn't come. It was a good time - out to dinner, watched some basketball, etc. etc. It was a very nice visit. I need to get down there again sometime soon. We'll see how that works out.

Thats it for now - maybe more later!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

hanging out with my ex would be like chewing on glass....glad you survived yours!

Melissa said...

I hear ya on that. Fortunately this wasn't that long of a relationship where there was all that much history. So... it was tolerable but not my first choice for a Friday night!