Wednesday, April 26, 2006

News of the weird in Melissa's world!

OK... so I'm going to a wedding! Weddings are fun, interesting, etc. This one should be especially interesting. The bride and groom are getting married on a plane and then sky diving out of the plane after the ceremony. Ummm... yeah! OK, so they're both avid sky divers. So, no, I won't actually be witnessing this marriage as my feet will be firmly on the ground. Should make for some good pictures though.

Took the 9:07 AM train in this morning from the burbs and it was loaded with Cubs fans headed to today's game. Now, this may not be all that interesting to hear about except for the fact that they were all already pretty much loaded - 9:07 in the AM!! And since alcohol is allowed to be consumed on the Metra, some of them had cases of beer with them just sitting there drinking. Why is this supposed to be fun?

I actually went to a Cubs game Monday night which was a lot of fun. Unfortunately I have taken some heat for it from some of my White Sox friends. Why is that? I go to Cubs games every year and I KNOW some of these people do too. But whatever... Anyway, got to sit on one of the Wrigley rooftops across the street from the park to watch the game. I had never done that before and it was cool and totally worth it. Plus, the night was free so I drank all kinds of free beer - good stuff too ... Heineken and Amstel Light - and ate free food! Can you really beat that? I say no!!

And finally... This morning I got off the train and walked outside and a tourist came up to talk to me. Actually ... he was a fairly good looking guy with a cool accent. Can't really place where he might have been from though - definitely Mediterranean of some kind. But anyway... he asks me where the "old city" of Chicago is and I think about it for a second and I'm like ... "What?"... So I just sort of pointed to the Loop cause... "Old city?" Then I think about it for another second and I'm like ... "Oh, do you mean 'Old Towne'"? "Old Towne" is a part of the city but I don't really consider it the "old city" of Chicago. He said, yes, maybe that was what he was asking and I said... well, take such and such El north and that I wasn't sure what stop it was but to ask at the El and he said OK and I walked on. So I started thinking about it more here this morning and you know what? There is no freaking "old city" of Chicago. The whole damn thing pretty much burned down in 1870-something so that pretty much eliminated anything super "old" around here. Hope that guy knows what he thinks he's looking for cause otherwise, I don't think he's going to find it!

No comments: