Friday, December 01, 2006

Weather Update #5

Downtown Chicago, 10:58am -- It seems to have finally tapered off but I think a bit more may still be coming. Fortunately it wasn't as bad as they predicted - not that it was all that good though.

A few thoughts...

There was a 7 car pileup at I-55 and 1st Avenue which is pretty much our exit - nice...

Hubby is in the hotel management but he doesn't manage a particular hotel. Its sort of a regional thing. So anyway, he got home late last night. We had dinner together and watched Survivor and ER on the DVR. I wasn't actually expecting him to even come home because he said he was just going to stay at the hotel overnight so he didn't have to mess with the commute. But then it wasn't so bad last night so he had come home but by 10:15 or so and watching all of that Weather Channel stuff he decided it was best to go back so he drove back around 10:30 and stayed out there which was a pretty smart move. That was when he told me how bad Ogden Avenue was.

Ummm... right now he is at an airport hotel and he says its a ghost town out there because so many flights are canceled. He says the airport is totally clear but Higgins is a mess and it took him over an hour to go somewhere earlier.

I'm still not feeling all that well but much better than last night. So I decided to come in - I pretty much was set on it anyway. So since I don't drive in this stuff, I walked. Its a mile to the train station. It was snowing hard the whole way with the wind right IN my face. By the time I got there, I was soaked and tired and grumpy. I mean its only a mile but thru the snow which is several inches deep in boots with the wind in your face and its freaking cold outside. Its not fun. Its a workout too! But somehow I made it there. Walked into the train station to buy my December monthly ticket and ewww... At some point before I got there someone must have thought it was cool to bring their wet stinky dog into the the station (Ok... if it was a service dog, fine, but those don't usually stink!) The place wreaked to the point where I did not want to stay so I went back outside and decided to wait under the roof. Yes, this was better than enduring that place. Blah...

During the train ride in it was probably snowing harder than I saw it during my walk. You could barely see some of the buildings. It was really blowing.

Anyway, because I'm always on the lookout for a good picture these days, I took my digital camera with me on the walk and I did take several pictures so maybe I'll post some. We really lucked out on not getting what was predicted.

And oh yeah and then I get here and so many people called off today. I'm not even going to get into this but ... not cool.

Anyway, that is about it for now!

No comments: