Thursday, September 01, 2005

Spinal Tap guy gets it right ...

Watching MSNBC last night and they interviewed Harry Shearer who I guess has a place in New Orleans. New Orleans is one of my favorite places, as I've mentioned, and I thought it was kind of hard to explain why but I think his explanation best sums it up...

"Well, it is a real love affair, and like most love affairs, it‘s hard to explain if you don‘t partake of the emotion. But it‘s the closest you can get to someplace that‘s not in the United States without a visa or a passport. The culture, it has a totally indigenous culture that‘s unique and original, and it‘s been steeping there for 300 years. It‘s a mix of the Caribbean and the French and the African. Every day means something in New Orleans. There‘s a ritual or a meaning or a ceremony or something that marks each day as different from every other day, and it‘s a city that, you know, the joys are great and the sorrows are great, and we celebrate both."

I think I remember reading something similar to this that Jimmy Buffett had written.

No comments: