Tuesday, September 09, 2003

Well here I am again. I was debating about writing today but it seems like its pretty slow here at work at the moment and I hope it will remain so. Hopefully I'll get this entry completed, I keep seeming to get wrapped up in things here. The lines are ringing but not with anything I work with.

So last night I went to get my hair done right after work at Mario Tricoci. It turned out pretty well. I got some low lights in it and usually I don't like them but I really needed a change. The other color in it sort of breaks it up a little bit so I don't look as intensely blonde. Sort of a change for me.

Anyway, after that I was walking down Michigan Avenue and I was crossing the street and all of a sudden I looked up and saw someone that I knew that I knew. Anyway, it was my friend Alana from college. So we were all typically girly, etc. about running into eachother. Actually I shouldn't be too surprised to run into her. I knew she had moved to France for a job for a couple of years. I had sort of lost touch with her a little before that even though she was in Chicago during the time. Our schedules were just not matching up. So she moved to France and now is back in Chicago with her husband Dave (Shaggy) who she dated in college and forever. It was very cool to run into her and we're planning on getting together in another couple of weeks. Alana was one of my sorority sisters and my roommate second semester sophomore year. Can't tell you how many fraternity parties we went to and underage drinking we did back then! ; ) We also went to Florida on Spring Break that year. We had some really good times - along with some of our other sorority sisters - and she's someone I have wanted to get back in touch with. I did see her a few times when she lived here before. Hopefully now we can all get together and get the guys together. It would be a good time!!

After that I went into Filene's Basement for a quick look around but didn't see anything too interesting so I went on my merry way. Got back to the apartment and watched the Sox game which, fortunately, they won. I'm still sort of thinking about going down there tonight by myself. Well, I probably won't. I went shopping today during my lunch hour and bought a bunch of stuff so I sort of want to take that home and then I'm trying to save a little money for this weekend so if I don't go then I'll have more money saved. Also, I'm not big on going to a game alone.

As I was saying earlier I went and did some shopping on my lunch hour. First stopped at Old Navy where I got this salmon colored sweatshirt which is pretty cool and some cargo khakis. Then went to Filene's Basement where I got a couple of shirts. I never go shopping so this is rare for me. There are a couple of other "fall" items I'd like to get such as some leather shoes and maybe some kind of skirt outfit or something like that. I'm trying to think of where else I could look around me that isn't super expensive. Had planned on stopping by TJ Maxx too but I didn't really have much more time before I had to get back to work here. Sooo... I might try to run over there tomorrow or look around on Michigan Ave. or something or just do nothing. I have skirts and stuff, I was just looking for something new. Shoes are an absolute must though. I love casual leather shoes and I've worn out the pair that I liked to wear so I definitely need something new. I'd also like to get like a leather jacket or something but I think I will hold off on that because that will be a little more money.

So I'm still just sitting here at work at its surprisingly quiet. I'm going to have to freak out and start jumping on some calls soon or its going to look like I have done nothing today!! OK, finally took one so its not a completely wasted day.

What else?? Can't think of much at the moment. Tomorrow we are having a 35th anniversary party here at work and I think we're all getting T-shirts and since I'm on the organizing committee (although I haven't had too much time lately to help organize), I'm supposed to pick up my T-shirt tonight and wear it tomorrow so I must remember to do that. Don't know what I'm going to do for dinner at all but I guarantee it will be none too thrilling.

One other thing I wanted to mention today was an update on the governor of Indiana. Apparently it seems like he suffered a massive stroke and they're not sure if he's going to make it and if he does it could be weeks or months before he's OK again. On my walk home I walked by Northwestern Hospital where he is and every news van in the Midwest must have been parked out there. This is very sad. As I said before I met the governor, Frank O'Bannon, several times when I was working in the Indiana Senate and even before. He's a really nice guy. I remember when he got elected the first time we were so happy down at IU. I got to go to his inauguration and everything at the State House in Indy. I was just thinking about that today for like the first time in forever. I have a nice printed invitation for it somewhere waiting to be put in a scrapbook. I'll never forget that day because they had the inauguration outside and it must have been like 20 degrees below zero. It was one of the coldest days I can remember from that year but a beautiful day outside. So we all stood around in our layers of clothing shivering but it was a nice event to go to. I also met the Lt. Governor, Joe Kernan, on several occasions who is just as much as a nice guy. As the Lt. Gov. is the leader of the Senate, I saw him a lot. I mean really, for politicians, they are both very approachable, just nice people. I'm attaching a couple of stories here from the Indianapolis Star (who knew Kernan was a Sox fan!) in case you're interested.

No comments: