Tuesday, October 04, 2005

Ummm... yeah...

So I am minding my own damn business and walk into a local fastfood establishment here in Chicago for lunch. I had my hand on the door when this person leaving the restaurants, slams the door open, pushing me back and bending my hand back hard. He says "Have a nice day, bitch," and practically runs me over to get out of the place.

So I'm like ... what the hell... and my hand was sort of hurting. Its OK now, I don't think its really "injured", my wrist and top of my hand may be slightly sore but I don't think its worth a court case. So I go in and the first guy sitting there says "What did he say to you?" And I'm like "Well, he called me a really nice name." So I guess this UTTER LOSER was some sort of homeless person or whatever - although he didn't look too homeless in those pretty nice clothes he was wearing - and was in the restaurant begging and got kicked out. So I guess he decided to take it out on someone and that lucky person happened to be me. Yeah, well, sorry if I'm making a generalization here... perhaps he wasn't a homeless person, maybe he was just a DRUG ADDICT!

Thats life in the big city I suppose...

And speaking of life in the big city, how about life in the suburbs?? You know you read all of those news stories - horrific stuff that happens in the burbs? And you think, but why? this is the suburbs? how could it happen? Well, let me tell you, the burbs are full of creepy dudes and don't I seem to run into this on morning walks (runs) to the train station. Last week I parked at my friend's place to take the 10 minute (or less) walk to the train. On the way there is a house whose occupants have decided to make the whole yard and even the grass out by the curb into this massive garden. Back home I would say it was just someone who doesn't mow their lawn and therefore its all overgrown with weeds, but no, this is actual flowers and plants and stuff (some of it taller than me) but the place is a freaking jungle! So at 5:45am on this corner, its super dark and freaky so I usually try to pass by there quickly. Of course last week as I'm walking past this truck with two guys in it stops and asks me if I want a ride. Umm.... NOOOOO?????!!!! They drove on and I sort of hightailed it out of there. Of all places... And then this morning when I walked from my place, I was standing at a long stoplight and this guy in his car was sitting there with the window open LEERING at me. Thats the only way I can describe it. So yes, freaky people in the suburbs. I know there has to be tons more freaky people in the city but I think I got so used to it, it seemed the norm. I used to say that I could not walk down Chicago Avenue to the red line subway stop without running into at least one crazy person. I'm not even kidding about that.

The wrist seems OK, but it also seems sort of popp-ish too. Its definitely some kind of strain.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

As irritating as assholes like that are, thats what makes Chicago so "Chicago"

Wish I lived there most days...

Melissa said...

LOL!!