Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Things I have learned living in the suburbs, part 1

OK so its only been a few days, but here are my thoughts at the moment:

1) When taking the train from Union Station after work, try to sit on one of the back cars. I had always done this in the past but yesterday I was thinking about it and decided I would walk all the way up the the front. My thinking was, if I did this, that it would make it quicker when I got off the train because I would be right at the crossing instead of having to walk up there. Well, this was a bad idea. Walking further up in the tunnel sucked because it was like 200 degrees in there with all of the trains lining up with all of those engines. Plus, being closer to the engine, it smells pretty bad and this does not go away when you get on the train - you're sort of stuck with it the whole ride. So from now on I'm sitting in the back and I'll just do my extra walking when I reach my destination ; )

2) People are nice. I mean I knew this anyway, but some people are really nice, for example my friend Dawn who lives within walking distance of me (20-25 mins). The train station is also within walking distance of me but Dawn lives right along the tracks. She offered to let me park in her driveway (she owns her own place) on the days I drive to the train to avoid having to pay any meters or get a parking pass! How very nice of her. Now when I drive its only a little 10 minute hike to the train which is no big deal to me at all for the money I save. I only plan to drive on days when I have my early shifts or when I'm running late. Yeah so for some reason I've parked at her place both days since she offered - ha ha! She actually said I could park there every day but I'm not planning on that. I sort of like the exercise from my walks!

No comments: