Wednesday, October 15, 2003

The Bartman game

Hello all! Well I don't usually log in so early in the day but there is so much going on at the moment that I can't help myself. So the Cubs actually ended up blowing the game last night, yes they did. I can hardly believe it this morning myself. They pretty much led the whole thing 3-0 and seemed to be cruising to a win. Then with one out and one man on a Marlins player hit a foul ball to the left, the Cubs left fielder, Moises Alou, ran for it to the wall and apparently a fan may have or may not have interfered with the catch. I suppose it depends on what you want to consider fan interference. It wasn't technically fan interference because the fielder had to reach into the stands area to try for the grab but the fan did sort of interfere in being in the way of a ball that could have gotten caught. So at this point still no big deal, there are now two people on base. At this point super star Mark Prior seemingly self-destructs with the later help of Kyle Farnsworth. Somehow in a sad combination which included hits, intentional walks and a blown double play by Alex Gonzalez the Cubs ended up losing this game 8-3. Can you believe it? So now everyone blames the fan who got in the way of the foul ball because that could have been the second out of the inning and then there are those who theorize that moment was a shift in the game and momentun and thats what screwed it up for the Cubs.

I personally didn't know that goats could be reincarnated as people but whatever. I wonder what my dad thinks about all of this. Well I suppose I know what he thinks about all of it. I venture to say that my dad is not surprised and even expected something like this to happen. After 50 some years of being a Cubs fan, who can be surprised? Well its not over yet, they still have one more game tonight and I think they'll probably pull it out. For the health and wellbeing of the guy who interfered with that catch, I would hope they do or his life will never be the same. I heard on the radio this morning that the person who was sitting beside him, who didn't even know him, was getting death threats because he had not prevented the guy from getting in the way. Isn't that the most idiotic thing you have ever heard? Who are these freaks?!

So back to the mayhem of everything that has happened since that game. So after the game Dusty Baker has his press conference and says well, it must have been a Marlins fan. Yeah, right, like there was even one Marlins fan in there last night. Who is a Marlins fan, really? So I'm sure ol' Dusty has now checked out the picture and its very apparent this guy was a Cubs fan. My next favorite thing that happened was Mark Suppelsa on FOX held up the National League Championship T-shirts that were already being sold on the street (obviously un-authorized versions). Talk about bad karma! I later heard the story about the black cat and the 1969 team. As many times as my dad has told me about that team and let me tell you, I've heard this story a million times in my life, he had never told me the story about the black cat. So I checked it out, and found this link. That is hilarious! You know, I used to have a black cat. I love black cats!

Today has been kind of fun in that this is all anyone is talking about. I keep remembering things I wanted to write about. First off, as I said, this guy's picture is everywhere. It is on the cover of every newspaper in town, the cover of USAToday, the lead story on every sports website. He is everywhere. OK, can I just say that I find this very irresponsible from a journalistic view point? I just needed to get that out of the way. I don't think that papers should be making money off of this. And speaking of which I was just informed the the Sun-Times has now published his name, where he works and where he lives. I'm not linking to it here. Rumor has it his company is getting inundated with calls and emails.

I was going to attempt to link to a few stories in the Tribune today but there is just so much there today. If you're interested, go check it out. I'm going to be updating this periodically today because my internet connection seems to keep freaking out.

No comments: